Start building and developing your career with RVC
The primary purpose of the role is to provide effective building control in accordance with statutory requirements, policy and procedure to deliver the expectations of the community identified in Council’s Community Strategic Plan.
- Administer and enforce the Building Code of Australia, Environmental Planning & Assessment Act and associated Regulations, Council’s Local Environmental Plan, Development Control Plan, the Northern Rivers Development Control Manual, Public Health requirements along with Council’s Local Laws
- Participate as a member of Council’s Development Assessment Panel in the assessment of development related applications
- Effectively implement the statutes and Council policies with regard to the matter of development assessment including inspections, issue of notices, and complete written reports
- Investigate report on and maintain records of fire safety matters in accordance with the Building Code of Australia
- Prepare high level written documentation and reports on matters involving building related functions
- Carry out specific project investigations, evaluate tenders, assist in the compilation of design briefs for building related functions
- Managing and analysing complex and sensitive issues
- Facilitating the engagement and input of a wide range of stakeholders and managing expectations
- Maintaining strong positive relationships with regulators and stakeholders
- Keeping up to date with legislation and changes which may impact the organisation and the community
We are looking for
- A motivated individual with strong communication skills
- A team player who understands the effective collaboration and appreciation of teamwork
- Attention to detail - noticing all elements of a project to ensure accuracy and adherence to policy
We are seeking someone who has or is willing to obtain:
- Tertiary qualification in Building Surveying or a related discipline, and Building Surveyor accreditation (or eligible for accreditation) under the Building Professionals Act at the level of A3 or higher
- SafeWork Construction Induction Certificate (WHS White Card)
- Current Class C Driver Licence
About the Role
Full time: 70-hour fortnight
Salary: Range from $75,394 to $96,205 pa + 10.5% super
Closing date: 11:30pm Sunday, 23 April 2023
Contact: Andrew Clark, Coordinator Building Services - 0427 389 235
NOTE: As the activities of this position could involve exposure to Hepatitis A and B and Q Fever, the employee will be vaccinated against these hazards or required to provide proof of immunity against these diseases.
About Richmond Valley
The Richmond Valley LGA is the base of the Northern Rivers region of NSW. The area is around three hours from Brisbane and less than an hour to Byron Bay. Richmond Valley and our surrounding areas are some of the most beautiful and desired in the country. Why wait in bumper-to-bumper traffic when you can drive past the gorgeous beaches, through rolling hills and fully embrace the benefits of regional living. Your "office" will range from beautiful coastal villages and country towns to vast fertile farm lands.
Richmond Valley has a generous Leave Management Policy including three weeks sick leave, compassionate leave, and volunteer leave to name a few. Our Health & Wellbeing Program includes Fitness Passports, free yoga each week, free meditation and a fun Health & Wellbeing day alongside many other initiatives.
We are a strong believer in developing those who want to learn more, master their field or enter a new one, our Learning & Development strategy supports professional growth that aligns to organisational need. Leadership is very important to Richmond Valley and we invest every year in our Leadership team with the aim of making all staff at Council empowered and engaged.
Please visit Working With Us for more detail regarding benefits Richmond Valley Council has to offer and here for more information about the Regional Job Precincts.
Integrity and Passion
The Way We Do Business
We lead by example. We take responsibility. We do what we say. We embrace change. We are community focused. We are in this together
Once you start your online application, you cannot save and return to it later. You may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document and then copy and paste these into the fields below.
- Please review the Role Description, outlining the key responsibilities and requirements of the role.
- We encourage you to speak with the contact person listed above to understand whether this is the right role for you.
- Complete the questions below, demonstrating your skill, experience and interpersonal suitability for the role. Click "Next".
- Attach your resume. (You may also attach a cover letter - this is optional). The names of your documents should not contain any characters other than letters, numbers and spaces. Click "Next".
- Review your application to ensure everything is correct. Click "Confirm" to submit your application.